November 29, 2009

a safe place

i am no stranger to uncomfortable - or even painful - feelings. not that i claim to have lived an excruciatingly hard life. i merely state that because it is required of human nature to taste the bitter to know the sweet, i am deeply familiar with the bitterness the world can bring.

while experiencing the unpleasantries of life, there is nothing more soothing than a safe place. do you have one? you know, somewhere there is no danger, no hate, no added hurt or pain? somewhere to go when you are in pain? a place where you find comfort and strength to keep going.

each person's safe place may be different ~ wrapped in mother's arms, head resting on a dear friend's shoulder, surrounded by crowds or alone with only thoughts for company, in a car, under the covers in bed, in a beautiful garden of flowers, on a coastal beach, curled in fetal position clutching a blanket. regardless where or what one's safe place is, we go there in our times of grief, stress, heartache, and pain.

there are two hymns in the lds hymnbook that touch my heart and soul, bringing a peace and understanding that surpass any earthly remedy with its power {the corresponding scriptures are true gems ~ look them up}. i remember the first time i ever heard hymn no. 144 ~ practicing as a family to sing it for my uncle ron's funeral after his premature death. because both hymns have special meaning, i included some of my favorite phrases:

no. 129 : where can i turn for peace

no. 144 : secret prayer


where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole? searching my soul, in my need to know, where can i run? where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish? who can understand? He, only One. He answers privately, reaches my reaching. in my gethsemane, Savior and friend. constant He is and kind, love without end.

sailing on life's stormy sea, amid billows of despair, {it is} solace to my soul to know God hears my secret prayer. when thorns are strewn along my path, my Savior to my aid will come if sought in secret prayer. may my heart be turned to pray in secret day by day. that this boon to mortals given may unite my soul with heaven.

interestingly enough, "boon" means a benefit bestowed upon request. trials, blessings, all the experiences we asked for before we came to earth are ultimately granted in this life in the attempt to reunite our souls with our Father who sent us here and His Son who provided a way for us.

as this month draws to a close, i desire to express my gratitude for the safe place Jesus Christ created for us in His love.
i am grateful for the comfort brought by the Holy Ghost.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Thank you for this! I am so blessed to have a cousin with such a strong testimony that shows in every aspect of her life.

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love!