December 4, 2011

twenty-four

i was shopping for some halloween doodads about a month ago with my roommate when i noticed all of the turkey-themed decorations cluttering the aisles.

in one little moment -
a surreal little moment -

i remembered i would soon be twenty-four years old.



you may be thinking.... duh, that shouldn't have been a surprise.
yet it snuck up on me!

however, my sudden panic was not about what age i would be. it was about realizing what this particular age meant to me.


living in provo utah, a girl tends to adopt certain beliefs -- even if said-girl is not originally from these parts
~ i claim the east coast, thank you very much ~

 even if those certain beliefs go against everything said-girl used to believe.



the most important and prevalent of these beliefs is an adaption from jane austen {italics represent modifications}:

"it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a good testimony and eighteen years of life, must be in want of a good husband and loads of children - right away." 


side note here --- pride and prejudice is actually a very interesting book to read as a social commentary of provo's current ideals of marriage and courtship.


so if you're having a hard time doing the math, eighteen was six years ago for me. that's a long time.
and what was my panic about?

well... somehow twenty-four meant something twenty-three hadn't to me. twenty-four meant "marriage" and "babies" and the world most of my other same-aged friends are living in. it meant more responsibility. it meant more.


quick! somebody help me find a rock to hide under!

you know me... when fight-or-flight kicks in, my first instinct is flight.


but now i've been twenty-four for a week. i've had time to feel it out, wear it in, and see that it's not as scary as i thought it would be.

i was in portland with sundy, tyler, and my darling little brother paul for my birthday celebration. i couldn't ask for anything more. i had everything i could want. my wonderful family, incredible friends, and the love of my Heavenly Father and Savior.

things are "up in the air" right now with a lot of aspects in my life...., but i know everything will work itself out because i'm an adult and i'm in-charge of my life :)

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I got married at 27. I'm so glad I didn't rush into it with the wrong person just because everyone else seems to get married at a younger age. As long as you are following the spirit and doing what's right in your life you'll continue to be completely happy. Things like marriage will work out eventually on the Lord's timing.

kaylynnczy said...

LOVE YOU! No rush, you've got your whole life to be married and have kids. Don't get me wrong, I love being married and having a little Tabby, but you're only single once. Don't wish it away!

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love!